Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The restoration of Summertime Dream

This is what I bought in February, 2010. She was advertised in the Latitude 38 classy classified ads. The owner wanted a compelling story about why I should get the boat for a bottle of good wine.


There was a lot of work to get the boat back into sailing shape. Large areas of the deck needed replacing and the topsides had hundreds of cracks in the fairing.

I spent February to October, 2010 working full time at Svendsen's. I had lots of great help from many people.






There a lots of pictures of the other parts and steps in the restoration process. I will publish them later.  But finally the boat got its long deserved new paint job.



After 8 months Summertime Dream was ready for its first sail:






On a beautiful day in October Summertime Dream went out for its first test sail. Damn was I happy. Please no comments on the sails.


More to come.

5 comments:

  1. Well, you asked my permission all those months ago, if I'd approve your purchase and renovation of Carl's first floating and completely winning design (5 bullets if I recall in the 1/4 Nationals on SF Bay all those years ago) - and you on the boat for it all! Carl ALWAYS felt you were the best helmsman he'd ever known.

    When you called me about rehabbing Summertime Dream, named after the Gordon Lightfoot song Carl loved, I began to cry.

    I saw it twice during the early weeks and months of your work...heard about it from many others who were in awe of what it was once again becoming.

    And now, I cry again. There is no doubt Carl was with you and MaryLiz as you pulled away from the dock: proud, pleased, witnessing your victory over decades of abuse to the sweet boat. I cannot think of a better owner. Thank you, Scott. Marilyn Schumacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott. Looks beautiful!! I'm so glad that you are having fun sailing and are happy with the results of all of your months of sanding and scraping and filling and patching! Can't wait to check it out in person in December!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scott!

    Great news to see you taking that beauty out on the water. Congratulations!
    I know that she is buoyed by the sweat, blood, and tears you and Maryliz have poured into her.

    Happy sailing,

    Dan O

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scott,
    I own Summertime Dream for a short period of time (bought her from Rob) and I just did not have the time or funds to treat her as she deserved. We won a number of races and had great fun. Thank you so much for taking this great vessel and giving her the attention she deserved.
    All the best and if I can ever do anything to aid in your efforts please contact me.

    ReplyDelete